We’ve anticipated the release of Arena 16, and it’s here. The new features improve model build time, take advantage of multi-computing for faster run times and decision making, and provide more control through updated modules and variables.
We’ll be applying these new features to projects right away.
What’s New in Arena 16?
- Arena Multi-Computing Utility
- Dongle requirements removed
- New System Variables
- New SMART Files
- Module Updates
- Export Tool Support
- Windows 10 Compatible
The Best 3 Features in Arena 16
1. Arena Multi-Computing Utility
Completing a large model provides a momentary feeling of satisfaction; however, that feeling is fleeting as you watch the run time take hours.
This impacts decision making time in operational applications, and makes it extremely important to plan out what scenarios to run and when to run them. It’s not uncommon for power users around the world to start a model on their way out of work just to allow their model to run over night.
Arena’s new multi-computing utility will allow its user to run multiple replications across several computers. This will cut run time by multiple factors and make decision making process faster.
2. Module Updates
Arena’s flowcharting process and ability to build a model without coding is where the tool really shines. Over the last few releases Arena has focused on enhancing their modules with new functionality to increase control and flexibility for the model user.
Arena 16 includes several module updates that will be a big help on our projects.
- The Adjustable Batch Module update has changed the Optimum Batch Size field to Preferred Batch Size to better communicate the intended purpose of the field, and the Preferred Batch Size can now be entered as an expression which will be truncated to an integer.
- The Access Module now allows the Conveyor Name field to be entered as an expression.
- The Exit Module now allows the Conveyor Name field to be entered as an expression.
3. New Flow Variables
We’re excited to take advantage of new flow variables that mirror current existing variables, except that they are not cleared after the warm-up period if one is specified. Here’s the full list.
- Returns the total quantity of material added to the tank. This variable is not cleared at the end of the warm up period.
- Returns the total quantity of material removed from the tank. This variable is not cleared at the end of the warm-up period.
- Returns the total quantity of material added using the regulator. This variable is not cleared at the end of the warm up period.
- Returns the total quantity of material removed using the regulator. This variable is not cleared at the end of the warm-up period
Are you using a dongle for Arena licensing?
If you’re using a dongle to manage licensing, then we have great news. Arena 16 no longer requires a dongle for any version! We know this won’t impact every user, but it will have a great, positive impact on anyone that currently uses a dongle.
It also means that you can take advantage of Arena 64 bit without the dongle. All you’ll need to do is download Arena 16 which includes an updated version of Factory Talk Activtion to support the feature. Learn how Arena 64 bit ran a model with 323 million active entities.
If you’d like to see the full list of features we recommend that you check out Rockwell Automation’s official release post.
SimWell helps businesses to make data driven decisions with digital twin, simulation, and optimization. We provide consulting services, training, and support. SimWell is proud to be the official reseller of software for innovative products including Arena, Anylogic, and MassMotion.